Sunday, June 15, 2008

Europe Trip 2007: SCOTLAND - Loch Ness/Fort Augustus/Urquhart Castle/Culloden Battlefield! (10/06/07)

Setting off our journey again the next morning...how I wish I can wake up and see such a view outside my house every morning...Doesn't really want to leave this nice house but the journey has to continue...goodbye and I really wish I can be here someday...someday... =)
Scottish Commando Memorial
It is actually an empty piece of grassland where one of those battles had taken place in the past. There is also a small patch of ground for visitors to come and pay their respect to the braved ones who have sacrifice their lives for the nation sake here...
United We Conquer! The clouds are patting on their heads again! =P
Scotland is.......well I don't have to say that and you know what I mean... =P =)
Guess where I was? It's the LOCH NESS!
Loch Ness is actually Lake Ness...and it is so big that there is no way you can see the other end of the lake from here. I can certainly understand why Nessie (the Loch Ness monster's nick) was never found by anyone if it really exists...hahaha...lol It wasn't really a perfect day to stand here even in summer as it was freezing cold at juz 15 degree that day...I was totally not prepared for this! =S
Goodbye Nessie! =)
Fort Augustus!The image of Nessie!Here we are at Fort Augustus, another linkway for the ship to travel from higher to lower ground or vice versa... =)Very characteristic small towns they have in Scotland...I don't know...juz can't stop clicking my camera perhaps? =PThe way out for the boats... *smilez*

We are trying to get closer to the bridge...

...and we found a lovely river!

I love Scotland because it is BEAUTIFUL! Hahaha...lol

The bridge

Urquhart Castle!

What is left now are mainly ruins of the castle as there was a huge fire broke out in the past that destroyed most of the structures.

A trebuchet!

A trebuchet is a weapon used in the past during wars where huge stones are shot out to hit the enemy side using this equipment. You will probably see how it works in the movie series LOTR.

The Scotland flag!

Walking around the castle... =)

"Help! Somebody saves me pls!" *bleh* =P

The castle is situated right next to the Loch Ness...can you imagine how big Loch Ness is by now?? Hahaha...oh wells...I still cannot imagine that too... =P

A castle by the lake...so classic...so scenic...

Nessie, where are you...?

I think I see a picture similar to this back in the guesthouse earlier...haha...lol

Water gate in the past...used to connect to the path that leads to the lake below for boarding of the ships in the past... =)

I love Urquhart Castle too! =))

The artist imagination of the castle in its orignal state in the past.

The Loch Ness Centre!

Inverness!

It was a Sunday evening and we were hungry and looking for food. And guess what most of the shops have already closed at 5pm!

Well, thank God we still able to grab a few last pieces of pizzas before the counter closes 5 mins later...phew...lol

A sign that caught my eyes:

PERSONS 14 YEARS AND UNDER ARE PROHIBITED FROM USING THESE LIFTS UNLESS ACCOMPANIED BY AN ADULT

What does that mean??? *scratching forehead*Culloden BattlefieldCulloden was the last hand-to-hand battle fought on British soil. You got to be a history student in order to understand the Battle of Culloden that had happened right here in many many years ago...

The place is empty as it was a battlefield. What we can see now are just markings on the ground to indicate the position and the ground where which particular clan used to stand on.

In the photo was the Clan Mackintosh. The directory tells you in general where everything should be placed in original state.The well of deathThe memorial stone that stood in the middle of the battlefield as a tribute to the soldiers who have died here during the battle.Forth Road Bridge!On our way to search for our next hostel for the night. There is a funny story for that sheep photo while I took it...haha...lol

Most of the sheep was eating the grass while our car passed by them. As usual, I started to take photo of the sheeps as the car is of normal speed. Daryl suggest to stop it for a while since we are early for the hostel and so I can get off the car to take a picture of the sheep.

As I got off, all of a sudden the sheep stop eating the grass on the ground but lift up their heads and turn their directions at me. They don't look afraid but more of puzzling at the sight of me. And I was a little taken back and fear as there were so many sheeps looking at me! Thinking they probably juz curious at the sight of an Asian whom they seldom would see around in Scotland, I took a picture of one of the curious-looking sheep and drove off again. They continue their eating immediately too when I got back to the car. Hahaha..lolGlobletrotter Inn!This is where we stay...a hostel with its own pub and lounge area, and pool table too! And the price is very budget...totally worth staying even for a much longer time...hahaha...lol

The canteen where you are supposed to cook your own food and eat...totally looks like any other school canteens! Juz that the kitchen is all yours now...heehee...lol

No comments: