Monday, June 09, 2008

Fallen under the Love Spell!

Glad to be with the girl again...welcome back Jo! *wink* =) Dinner after service @ Food Republic Wisma Atrium

Great fellowship, great time, great food! Haha...yummy yum yum! =p

Last Saturday I had my usual First Hand ministry training at CDC. This week the lesson was divided on mainly two topics. One of them was about HIV-related laws (taught by a lawyer) in order to equip us with the basic knowledges about the laws and regulations that are targeted mainly on the transmission of the HIV virus, the carriers, and the disclosure of the disease to the public.

Well, I have to confess I almost dozed off as it was way too technical for me to understand. There are many terms and conditions one need to consider in the law area for HIV transmission. For example, you could be charged if you donate blood when you know you are infected with HIV diseases. The penalty for such offenses ranges according to the seriousness of the consequences.

The other topic, which I have been waiting to learn more about and perhaps one of the most interesting topic to me, is on the Stigma & Discrimination against HIV/AIDS.

Why would I be interested about this topic?

Well, first of all, it will relate me back to the decision to choose this ministry rather than many others that involve community service to the less fortunate. I mean, there are many others who need our help too such as the elderly, the physically or mentally disabled, the orphans etc. Honestly, there can never be enough helpers for everyone...just everyone can help to offer some encouragments to them, and the most part of their lives depend on how they want to live their lives. Even if their lives is not as fortunate as ours, but if their mindset is positive and righteous, they would still have a life full of meaning and purpose and turn it into an enjoyable journey!

For AIDS/HIV patients, there is always hesitation to whether we should offer our help. Unlike others, the causes of contracting HIV virus are mainly through the less moral methods: drugs, prositutions/ promisculty. This leads to many to believe that these patients deserve what they get now. In the chinese religious or moral beliefs, this is like the 'karma' or 'retribution' that they deserves to be punished through the same means they commit their sins. Discrimination against people living with HIV/AIDS are usually the case as they are often thought to being responsible for becoming infected. Especially when HIV/AIDS is a life-threatening disease that up till now, there is still no cure for it...

But have you ever thought of what such discrimination could do to the patients?

As much as I would want to voice out here, discrimination to them could greatly affect them in finding a job, family isolations, the image of a 'time bomb'...and probably even the law of the country regarding the subsidairies and grants (if any) given to these patients and protecting their welfare! Yet, if everyone is so negative and discriminating about HIV, how would the patients feel too?

In the past, I would have agreed that they probably deserve what they get for their bad behaviours. Yet, they already have contracted the incurable diseases and are suffering under it, aren't that bad enough? Who knows they probably have blamed themselves a lot over what they had done! Especially when you know you are approaching your deathbed, no matter how much you want to lie to yourself, you know these short moments while you are still alive mean the most important to you and you would want to redeem yourself back to the righteouness...

Honestly, do we still have to throw a stone or make it worse over someone else's tragedy? Well, I don't really think so...that is if you still have a warm heart...

When I think about this, I think of the story about Jesus and the man with leprosy. While no one dare to come near to the man infected with leprosy, Jesus shows no fear to him, went to touch him and healed him. We might not possess the same healing power like Jesus to heal these patients, but to be like Jesus, we should show no fear towards them and to touch and befriend with them. What they probably need right now is probably just a hug, a warm hand shake, a pat on their shoulder or their back to let them feel that human touch and to make them know that they are still alive and is certainly welcome in this world.

When Jesus asks the crowd for anyone who have not sinned at all to throw the stone at the woman, and no one is able to come forward, isn't it the same situation we are at now too? Just because our sins did not cause us to infect with HIV doesn't mean we have the right to condemn them too! When people make a mistake, it is often the result of the ignorance and the lack of education. So what we should do is really to show compassion to them, raise the awareness of the HIV education, and to show support publicly to these people...don't you agree? =)

Anyway, I am surprise that many people told me they have chanced upon my blog through googles...and even my own cell group leader! =p Oh well who know when my boss could be reading this too...hehe...lol Hahaha...but to Bro Darren: thank you for spending the time to read my long entry! Geez...well it feels good to me to share here as well as with the cell group too... =)

Especially when blogging is starting to raise the awareness of many in the darker light these days with all the criticisms, opinions that may offend someone you don't even know...well...thank God that I wasn't involve in any of such issues but to receive thank you notes from people all around the world who were blessed with what I wrote. *blush*

Hahaha...well just to let you know...THAT means lots to me too and I feel so encouraged to share much more...hahaha...THANK YOU guys! =D

Thanks to Xinyi who help me brought back my favourite Victoria Secret's Love Spell body lotion, body wash & body mist all the way from the US! =D

I love its sweet fragrance (cherry blossom, peach and white jasmine!) and the quality of it...and it only costs USD$8 per bottle! So if anyone is going to US, can you help me with this little favour next time...PLEASE? Hehehe...lol

1 comment:

Gaynor said...

Glad you enjoyed the pictures I posted on my blog Christine! Peach is SO cute! Good to hear all is going well for you.
Love, Gaynor