Saturday, December 09, 2006

Freedom or not?!

As I thought about my runaway hammy today, I thought about how it is probably thinking of now, "Where should I go?", "Where is my hiding place?". I thought of how it might be feeling now -- Would it feel scared? Would it feel lonely? Would it feel lost?

Then without knowing why, I turn all these questions to myself. I wonder if these are actually questions that very often we will keep asking ourselves: Where should I go next, to continue my studies or to work? Which company should I go to? Where is my home? Who can I turn to?

Maybe in our lives, we are very often sought after freedom for our own, a freedom where there is no committment to anything we do. A freedom where no one will be there to control us, to interfere in all the things that we do. But ask yourself: Is such a 'freedom' that fantastic? What kind of freedom you really want?

There are certain degree of freedom given to us in our different stages of our lives. When we are young, our freedom is restricted by our parents as they take charge to guide us to the correct ways of doing things.

When we grew older, we gain more freedom when we are legally allowed to do a few more things, enter places where we cannot enter last time, drink alcohol and watch different categories of movies.

When we reach our adult stage, we no longer need to ask our parents to sign consent forms and take charge of most administrative stuffs with our own signatures. We gain control over our bank accounts, our expenditures, our daily activities.

Eventually when we started working, we gain the overall control in our lives, and even in our children's lives and our parents' lives as we are responsible to take care of them.

All these are the freedom given to us in the different stages of our lives. Whether we like it or not, these freedom comes inevitably to us and we need to accept them as they were. But then, won't you find it hard to cope with all these things given to you from time to time? Are you sure that given all these freedom, the choices you make are right for you and the people around you?

The world changes us on the outside but not the inside. If there is no guidance, no one to lead us, there are certain things in this world that we may not be able to identify for ourselves if they come with good or bad intentions.

True that we can always learn from mistakes, that "once bitten twice shy". And staying innocent is not practical in this simple yet complicated world these days. But innocence is virtue tested. And remember, curiosity kills the cat.

Freedom is defined as having the power to do as one pleases. True freedom is one that should make one happy and righteous in the things he or she does. What gives us the power to know good and bad is what we have inside us. You can't expect a hungry person to view food as something too full to take. Same as, you can't see an uneducated person to write out an award-winnging poem. So if someone who is 'dirty' inside them, you won't expect 'clean' things to be done by them.

If we want true freedom, one that gives us true happiness, we need to change what is inside us. For me, I know I don't know how to answer many questions in my life but I know someone who did. For the trust that I have for this friend of mine, I know I am never alone to carry all these burdens and endless questionaires by myself. My friend is Jesus.

For God knows the way and the keys to our hearts. When we change for the better inside us, we are able to identify what is truly good and bad in our lives. By then, we will truly know what to do on our own and to find the true freedom and happiness for ourselves.

We should not think of controlling our own lives as true freedom. Because, a sheep without its sheperd, it is still a lost sheep with freedom that it would not know how to make the full use out of it.

"Think about this: What can truly make you happy and free that last for a very long time?"

No comments: