Thursday, December 14, 2006

Value vs Desire

I was doing some thinking these few days over whether to take up my dad's offer to get a ticket to Hong Kong to reunite with my family there. It is a really wonderful blessing from my parents but yet I hesitated. My main concern was over the money issue as I would not strain on my parents' money even though I know they can still afford it. Thank God my homeland is not anywhere too far away from Singapore either. :)

I was thinking about my expenditure for next year as I will be travelling to other countries as well and it will cost me a bomb too. I was thinking that since I am going back in Feb, which is not too far away, there is no point in going back now. Nevertheless, in the end, I still bought my ticket.

My reason being is simple: I miss my parents a lot. There might not be another chance for me later on when I enter workforce as year-end period is the peak period for all accountants and auditors. And come to think about it, I have not spent a Xmas together with all my family present, especially with daddy, for more than 5 years now ever since he was posted to China. Xmas buffet was a tradition for my family every year to get together to celebrate and enjoy the company with one another.

Right now, even though I have an heartache for the hole in my pocket, I still feel great and look forward to see my parents back there. But true this money can be earned back and I will prove that once I started working. Well, by then I will be happy enough as I can finally share my dad's financial burden for the family too. Hope daddy no need to be so tired and stress everytime I saw him then. :)

Sometimes I wonder if I have value the money too much over what I desire to have. But then, I can't simply ignore it too right since that is the tool for our survival in this society? Ha. I think I am pretty money-minded sometimes. Maybe that's why God has planned the career path for me to be an accountant ba...ahaha...lol

True enough, we always desire for things that we can't or don't have. People who are not rich will wish for more money blessings. People who are not smart will wish for knowledge and wisdom. For me, I wish for more time with my family because I don't have the luxury to see them every day. If there is a chance to turn back time, I really wish that my dad didn't agree to be posted to China and just get a stable job in Singapore so I can see him everyday like I was young. But then, I guess maybe I will wish for other things by now if that is the case. I guess we will never stop wishing for other things to happen in our life when we don't have them right now.

But somehow I keep thinking again: If we keep wishing or wanting for things we don't or can't have in our life, with the limited time that we have in our lives, will there be enough time for us to treasure what we HAVE right now? When I thought of this, I agree with my dad from his point of view. He doesn't mind to pay for the extra cost for my tickets during this peak season because he really wanted to see me there with them for Xmas. He told me that since he can still afford it now, I should just go ahead and get a ticket. Until the time when we really in a tight financial situation that we can barely afford that ticket, by then I should consider about the cost.

Using back what i learnt from my lesson last time:

Value= Emotional benefits / Functional benefits (dunno if I remember correctly :P)

What my family still have is financial blessing from time to time. What my family lack of is the quality time we can spend together. I desire for the latter. And what I have right now is the free time and money. Hence, I choose to use it to reunite with my parents. I believe nothing is better than to give my parents the Xmas gifts that I made for them personally, face to face, and my reward will be to see their happy/puzzle/funny expressions on their face when they received the gifts from me. :)

I wanna thank God for all these blessings He gave my family. But as I thought about Him, there is a little tinge of guilt for I never treasure Him as much last time. Like I said earlier, we always desire for things that we can't or don't have, and we may neglect and forget to treasure what we have right now.

God has given us love, hope, freedom, happiness, prosperity and much more. He has given us a shelter to foster when we are in trouble. He always gives us in abundance. Yet how many of us have treasure what we have? We desire for things out of God gives, and we fail to see the consequences that some of these things that can bring to us. It is like we are very often desire the things out of the Eden that God has created for us. We fall for temptations that we shouldn't.

Shall we follow our hearts or God's heart? I bet this is a question that we are very often faced. I believe only when we know how to treasure what we have now, treasure God's words for us, it is then we will have everything that we really desire.

Thank God for the financial blessing over my family and me.
Thank God for the cheaper ticket that I get to find online that save me about S$100.
Thank God for the Xmas dinner that I finally get to enjoy with my parents for such a long time.
Thank God I can hand the gifts to my parents personally.
Thank God for your love for me. :)

"Never hesitate to show your love to the people you treasure for you never know what will happen tomorrow. Never live your life with regrets. Though my parents will never get to read this, I really love you both lots, mummy and daddy. I love you lots too, Jesus. :)"

No comments: