Saturday, April 07, 2007

Dream of a Journalist

Guess what I found from Googles? My blog is ranked 80 on someone's list of the ranking of the websites! Hahaha...how interesting manz...lol But then, it shows there with only one visitor...hahaha...oh wells... :P You can check this out at: http://ph03.hotrank.com.tw/reg/rp?myid=h03-60621&hkey=&mode=year&dstr=2007&type=4&subt=2

Anyway, juz for those who don't know yet, I have started out a food blog called "The Food Law" at http://thefoodlaw.blogspot.com or you can get the link on my side bar. :) It will be a blog that talks about food only, allowing me to share with you all the nice cuisines I have tasted, and to thank God and all the chefs who make our lives wonderful with all these great food around. :D

Actually, this is also part of my passion on journalism that I used to have since secondary. Back in DHS, I had joined the SPH Friday Weekly Young Journalist Club for a year plus. We are mainly divided into 4 groups and I was posted to 天鹰组。With my group, we would write a 2-pages to 4-pages news article for Friday Weekly once in while. It is really fun and we learn alot on how to write a good newsarticle, finding your focus for your topic, how to do the newspaper layout, as well as the newspaper publication process. It is absolutely NOT like any other journalism club in schools because what we write will be published on the newspapers that will be sold to students and school all over in Singapore. And since it is under Singapore Press Holdings (SPH), my participation in it gives me great credits on my CCA records and I really consider being a journalist back then.

Because being a journalist, you will be exposed to many insights in which most of us will not be able to see on our TV, newspaper and other media channels. Seriously, every article or stories have been checked for and reviewed by the SPH before they are released to the public. BUT I am NOT saying they are not real here. Somehow, you will feel more for those stories or see a bigger picture of it if you are the one who is writing it.

Journalists will also be able to access to places where most of the public are not allowed to go, attend events that are only for selected people, come to meet the powerful people and the riches, and to get hold of the latest news before everyone else and you will always be updated with what is happening around you. These have all been motivations for me to become a journalists.

Yet there is certainly nothing known as "free lunches" in the present society. And being a journalist will also come across tough times as well. Like if there is any emergent news, you will have to be there at the scene even if it is right in the middle of the night. You will lose your sleep and dressed up immediately just to rush down to do your job. Sometimes you also have to agree that not everyone is friendly. If you interviewed someone who is hostile and refuse to give much information to you, you will really have a hard time there and you probably need to refrain yourself from beating up those people who are trying their best to make your life miserable. Hahaha...lol

Being a journalist, you MUST also be careful of using your words, in case you may offense anyone and be sued. So in general, it is a tough but meaningful job. You have the power to help the others by exposing what is lacking or what has been ignored in the current society.

Just to recap, I also used to send in my chinese stories to the newspaper as well, hoping to be selected to be published in which I would be able to earn some good extra pocket money then. Hahaha...well those are my glamorous days when I was among the top percent in Chinese back in DHS...lol

Well back to the topic, this time is slightly different. I AM writing some food journal...but in English! Hahaha...so pls don't pinpoint me over my numerous grammatical mistakes and misuse of vocabularies...hahaha...lol

So whenever you are bored or craving for food, feel free to give my new blog a visit ya? *wink* Hahaha...hope you guys will enjoy reading it. And you are all welcome to give me feedbacks or recommendations if you have any nice dining places or cooking tips in mind... :))

"Juz remember the food reviews are all based upon my personal preferences. So I have no intention to criticise or judge any of the stalls or food featured. Your opinions are independent from mine as we may have different taste buds there. Hahaha...but I really appreciate any feedbacks so I can learn and make the improvements there. So enjoy! :DD"

No comments: