Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Jehovah's Witnesses


Wanna take a break in the midst of my study so I went to look up at Wikipedia for some questions I have after Easter. I don't know about others but if you recall the play during service, there was a part when right after Jesus died, he was in hell, and the devils trying to get close to Him and yet he won in victory at the end (in which he holds up the torch in the play). I was wondering what actually happens then and if the bible says anything about it. What is the significance of it? I went to search for Wikipedia but so far I don't find anything yet. Anyone knows anything about this?

Oh I also discovered something else on wikipedia as I search for the related topics. I came across this christian denomination which is known as the Jehovah's Witnesses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah_witness). One thing that I am puzzled at is that, as stated in wiki, "...in areas where they are active, they are commonly known for their door-to-door preaching, their objection to blood transfusion, and for not celebrating birthdays or holidays." I mean, isn't it a little strange? Somehow I feel a little creepy about this christian denomination. According to Jehovah's Witnesses, they viewed blood as sacred and hence they rejected the transfusion of blood, blood cells etc.

From wikipedia, "The central theme of their preaching is God’s Kingdom with Jesus Christ as its king. The Witnesses believe that the reign of Jesus began with the Second Coming or presence of Christ. Originally, the Second Coming was believed to have occurred invisibly in 1874, but this date was later revised to 1914. Witnesses believe that their faith is the restoration of first-century Christianity. Thus, Jehovah's Witnesses reject traditional Christian doctrines such as the Trinity, eternal torment in hell and the immortality of the soul as being later, illegitimate additions to the original Christian teachings."

Well, it feels weird that in christianity itself that there are doctrines that actually go against another doctrine. I mean, even if they are different, they don't really reject the other...or do they? At least I don't see it in most of the doctrines, even when they are opposites of each other. Oh well, something new to me I guess...ha...

5 comments:

JohnOneOne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JohnOneOne said...

You ask a very good question. Perhaps the following web links may provide the correct perspective on this:

http://www.watchtower.org/library/hb/article_00.htm

To continue reading, at the bottom of each page, click on the arrow pointing to the right.

Agape, Alan.
john1one@earthlink.net
http://www.goodcompanionbooks.com

27hcram said...

Thanks for the website because it certainly clears many questions that I have been searching for. It is really useful.

Yet I have to admit that after reading it, I guess I still don't agree with them on not saving lifes through blood donations as they believe it is the same as taking in the blood. Well, I guess that all depends on our own view about how saving lives should go then.

But thank you as I would not have mistaken their reason in any other ways. :)

B-Rok said...

I've been telling you all the time that doctrines DO go against each other.

Anyway, all the stories about Jesus after his resurrection are in Catholic traditions and passed down by word of mouth; no one wrote it down, or acknowledged it.

A good example would be the Gospel of St Bartholomew that describes Jesus's acts after the ressurection, but it's not recognized. It's not written in the bible at all. :p

27hcram said...

To b-rok:

Hahaha...act i wanna email u about all these but realise i shdn't bother u during ur exam time...so maybe u can tell me more when u got back? Hahaha...got lots to ask u too... :P

Ya I remember what u told me too...and u also tell me wat u wish to see or do about it...remember? I guess I only see it in a not-so-strong way...like my old church & chc in which we have diff doctrine too but yet we don't really reject each other. I guess I prob didn't bother to ask u further about this and hence it appears more extreme than wat I would have expected of it.

And yes I realise the bible nv says wat happen during tat period aft Jesus died, yet I still think there is prob sth said bout it and prob some significance of it too, esp if not I dun tink that part of play will be performed somehow. Ya if u do read up on it tell me ba...thanks... :)

Anyway, JIAYOU for ur exam!

Christine