Friday, April 13, 2007

Harrowing of Hell

Juz wanna share what I learnt while I am on my journey to look for answers to some questions I have over the easter play...something I juz wanna come clearer again even though it was told and understood many many times... :)

While I realise the JW topic attracts everyone's attention, which I guess I shouldn't really have posted that (sorry about it! :X), I don't know if anyone of you notice my questions for the Easter service there as well (Thanks Brian for noting it and telling me some clues there... :) ). So I decided to look up on wikipedia again (the super useful rearch engine...hahaha...lol), and I finally find the information I am looking for -- "Harrowing of Hell" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrowing_of_Hell).

Basically, I have to admit that during the play, the part playing Jesus descending into the hell somehow bothers me. And over these days, sometimes I can't help but to think WHAT is the SIGNIFICANCE of it? Why Jesus, the Son of God, instead of going straight to heaven, would go down to the hell instead? How do people know about this when in the bible, there is nothing much being said about this? (I have to admit that I didn't read the bible enough though, so if you know of anything pls enlighten me here... :P)

To a certain extent, I don't think that the church put that part up in the performance just like that if it does not carry any significance. Because if they do, there would probably be someone who would start to question the reason for it. And I have to say it might not be seen in the right direction when all of us often response to things differently. Because, after all, Jesus's death and resurrection are the main focus of the performance for the easter services, in which the area people would like to debate upon, telling us that if indeed he has died on the cross for us for our sins.

And what I found this:

According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church,

"He descended into hell" affirms that Jesus did really die, and through his substitutionary death he conquered death and the devil. In his human soul united to his divine person, the dead Christ went down to the realm of the dead. He opened Heaven's gates for the just who had gone before him.


So what have I gained here?

Well, it tells me that Jesus indeed is a man, like any of us, when he was on earth. I know this is something told many times, but some of us might not even think that as a man, the Son of God, Jesus would go down to hell after he died, right?

This part of the play helps to remind me once more that Jesus is indeed a man with flesh, that he would, like us, feel joy when something good happens; that he would, like us, feel sorrow and pain (in the play he cried when John the Baptist died). He went through those sufferings for us as he carried the cross on his back...those pain and wounds were all real. Can you imagine how pain it would be if anyone of us were being beaten like that?! (Ouch...!)

It was mentioned briefly in Hebrews 2: 14-16,
"Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death -- that is, the devil -- and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death. For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham's descendants."
Actually from my study bible, it also provides another reason for why as to Jesus HAVE to become like us (Heb 2:17). It mentioned here that Jesus became human, not just to die for our sins, but also to be our high priest. To fully communicate God's salvation to us -- and identify with our need -- Jesus had to become one of us (the qualities of a priest are given in Heb 5:1-3).

Something I come to learn about...again... :)

More about Christ descended into hell is also mentioned from the Roman Catholic: http://www.vatican.va/archive/catechism/p122a5p1.htm

No comments: