Tuesday, August 15, 2006

8 years of shooting ends here...







This entry will be a dedication to my 8 years of shooting.

I recalled the first time I stepped into the air rifle range back in Dunman High School. There is a strong stench and stuffy air that can choked you. Yet I looked around me at those sec 1 like me who came here for trials to enter to the famous air rifle club. It was popular among us as it is a brand new sport to us and DHS Air Rifle Club was doing very well for the national schools competitions over the past years.

I remembered the first time I hold that 0.22 air rifle in hand...so heavy! The person assisting me had to give his support while I aimed for my best shot. I fired. The target paper remained untouched. I was really upset that day and refused to walk out of the range, knowing I would not have another chance at it if I were to leave. Mr Gan, our teacher in charge, saw my persistence to stay and he decided to let me have another go for it. Still no miracles happened for me.

I was willing to leave this time but my friend, Chew Wee Ling, who accompanied me back then refused to go off and wanted to play another round. Again, Mr Gan was happied that we were so enthusiatic about shooting and let us 'play' one more round. This time, I realised I never notice there is another foresight at the tip of the rifle and I used it to aim for my shots again as told by my assistant. We had 3 shots for each round. Miracles happened for me. My 3 shots all went into one big hole! This means my groupings were almost perfect! The seniors around me couldn't believe their eyes. But I was still puzzled as to what was going on when they looked so surprised. It was at that moment Mr Gan seriously asked me to try again. And the next round I shot even better than the last, making a smaller hole on the target paper. Immediately, he asked if I was really interested to join their small family.

But I realised I can't because I already placed Chinese Orchestra as my first choice for my CCA. I didn't know I need to place air rifle as my first choice too before I even go for their try-outs. Thank God my first choice was Chinese Orchestra and not any other CCA. Mr Gan was a good friend with Mr Tay, the teacher in charge of CO. He told me there would not be any problem to transfer me to their shooting team. I was elated.

That was how my life as a shooter started. We started off with the proning position, using the 0.22 rifles. Our teams always come in the first for the east zone competitions and the first 4 in ranking for the national schools competitions. I had won sever individual awards for the east zone rounds too, even make it twice as the east zone female individual champion. It was a dream come true. It was also in air rifle that I met Ceying, my first boyfriend, who is also my air rifle senior back then. Our relationship started during our one of our air rifle training camp. We kept it rather discretely and no one realised it until a few months later. This relationship ended two years later.

Then in VJC, all the competitions are in standing position as the proning position had been scrapped off. We had to adapt to the new changes and the transition was not too easy. Thank God I believe He really gives me the talent in shooting and I caught up very quickly. I shot well enough for the team during my year one. But year two onwards, due to all my work committment, I didn't train well and performed badly. Fortunately, our team still make it to the finals and bring back a forth placing for the female rifle team.

NTU air rifle team was another new culture for me. When I was in DHS and VJC, whenever there were competitions coming up, we would have to stay back everyday after our lessons to train for every competition. In university, we could not afford such training time and we only practice twice a week. I had to admit I join the team mainly for their points as the shooter points are quite attractive and there was still point system then in which I really need those points to stay in my single room. But the passion for it soon died out as my work load increases and my performances decreases.

Only for the last competition, the NTU Inivitational shoot during last Feb that I finally gained back my passion for shooting. I trained hard for that competition, wanting to prove to myself that my efforts can be paid off. Yet the result was under my expectations. I was really upset and wanted to train more and improve. When they asked me if I were to continue shooting for my final year, I immediately said 'yes'.

But time never allow me to do so. I realised there are really many things waiting for me to get my hands on them. I have to make my decision. Since I already vowed to God that I will focus on my studies and my walk with Him, I had to let go of my shooting passion. I know I can't cope with so many things at the same time.

So many times I told myself and others that I was bored by the training. After all, I had been doing the same thing again and again for the past 8 years. Yet the moment I message my training officer that I had to quit the team, I cried. I guessed I will miss this sport a lot. I know the only time I get to shoot will be the days I had when I am still studying. Once I graduated and enter the workforce, I would not have the chance and the luxury to do so. My passion for the past 8 years will have to end here...today...

One thing I learnt after all these 8 years was that shooting actually trains a person in many non-physical ways. It is a sport that the emphasis is not on your physical fitness level. It is a sport that requires much of your mental strength. A sharp shooter must be a person who is perfectly calmed and able to handle stress. Imagine yourself standing alone in front of a large crowd whose eyes were all focused on you. How do you feel? Don't you feel your heartbeat increases and you tends to perspire more?

Shooting trains a person's flexibility on handling a situation where you may feel stressful. It trains you to stay calm always and be able to have a wider vision of what's going on and look for the right solution to it. Shooting also asks for your patience. You need to wait for the perfect timing to pull your trigger. It helps you to have trust and confidence in yourself. You should never be afraid to pull that trigger when your instinct tells you it is the right time. Even a second of your hestitation can cause a huge difference.

All that shooting left for me now is the happy memories the winning and training together with my teammates, the numerous trophies and medals that I owned, the shoe and the glove that I bought, the skill that I have acquired over the years, and the ability to remain calm when I am faced with an unknown situation. I will miss everything about it. Wish I have made the right decision then and to excel in the thing that I sacrifice my shooting for. I know and I will work hard for what I vowed to do...coz I believe in Your plan for me... :)

"Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established." - Proverbs 16:3

No comments: